ISCM Canadian Section Call for Works for ISCM World Music Days 2015, in SLOVENIA, 26 September - 1 October, 2015
Application Deadline: 29 August 2014
*For all works being submitted to the ISCM Canadian Section for WMD 2015, it will be the responsibility of the composer to secure rights for the inclusion of his/her work in the ISCM Canadian Section promotional recording.
1. Composers with Canadian citizenship are entitled to submit works to the jury of the ISCM Canadian Section. It is also possible to submit work(s) directly to the international jury of the ISCM by individual submission, conforming to the application fees and regulations of ISCM WMD 2015. Only one work may be submitted per composer, whether through the ISCM Canadian Section or by individual submission.
The ISCM Canadian Section will make every attempt to notify the public in a timely fashion of the ISCM Canadian Section jury's selected works for World Music Days 2015, Slovenia. Please note that the postmark deadline for composers to submit works for individual submission to the ISCM WMD 2015 is 31st October 2014. Individual submissions are not submitted to the ISCM Canadian Section. (see WMD 2015 International Call for Scores at www.worldmusicdays2015.si/.2.html for details)
Note: Composers whose work is selected for the official ISCM Canadian Section submission must be members of the Canadian League of Composers. If you are not a member, you may still submit, but if your work is chosen, we will ask you to join the CLC before we submit your work. The CLC will waive the $60 membership fee for the first year for composers whose works are part of the ISCM Canadian Section official submission.
2. The ISCM Canadian Section will select six works for consideration by the 2014 ISCM World Music Days Selection Jury. These works will come from at least four available categories.
3. Works by a composer whose piece(s) have been performed or programmed at the 2014 ISCM World Music Days are not eligible for submission.
4. Works must be composed after 2007.
5. Works by a composer whose work was included in the ISCM Canadian Section’s official selection for the 2014 ISCM World Music Days are not eligible for submission to the ISCM Canadian Section.
6. All works submitted to the ISCM Canadian Section for the Call for Works for the 2015 ISCM World Music Days must conform to the instrumentations (or subsets thereof) of the available categories, as set out below.
7. Failure to conform to this will, at the discretion of the 2014 World Music Days jury, disqualify the entire submission from the ISCM Canadian Section.
Note: All submissions must come from within the following categories. No addition of extra instruments to categories is allowed. Works written for subsets of these categories are permitted in some cases. Submitted works must have been composed after 2007. Works selected by the Selection Jury that have been submitted as part of the ISCM process will be given Official Selection status.
Call for Works: ISCM Categories
1. Symphony orchestra (with or without choir, with or without soloist)
(2+1.2+1.2+1.2+1.-184.108.40.206.- timp.perc4 - pno - org - harp - strings) duration max. 20 min
2. String orchestra, 220.127.116.11.1 duration max. 15 min
3. Big band – Jazz orchestra 18.104.22.168 duration max. 8 min
4. Mixed choir 22.214.171.124 duration max. 8 min
5. Youth choir duration max. 8 min
6. Brass ensemble 126.96.36.199.2 (tpt/hn/trbn/bar/tba) duration max. 10 min
7. String Quartet duration max. 10 min
8. Wind Quintet duration max. 10 min
9. Brass Quintet duration max. 10 min
10. Saxophone Quartet duration max. 10 min
11. Percussion Ensemble - up to 7 instrumentalists duration max. 10 min
12. Trio: horn, trombone, tuba duration max. 10 min
13. Military Wind Orchestra (Picc-1 Fl-3(alto fl, bass fl) Ob-1(EHorn) EbCl-1 BbCl-8 ACl-1 BCl-1 CbCl-1 Bsn-1 ASx-1(Ssax) TSx-1 BSx-1 | Hn-4 Tpt-5(flug) Tbn-2 BTbn-1 Euph-2 Tuba-2 | DB-1 El.Guit Pno Timp Drum Set Perc-2) duration max. 15 min
14. Pieces for solo instruments and various chamber ensembles up to 15 musicians with or without soloists (any combination from the list is possible but not more than two soloist per piece) (when you choose soloists, please subtract them from the ensemble instrumentation list) duration max 10 min.
· voices (Soprano, Mezzo-soprano, Alto, Tenor, Baritone, Bass)
· instruments (any combination from the list is possible): 4fl. 3ob . 4cl . 4sax . 3bsn / 4hn . 3 tpt . 2trbn . 1tba / 4perc - 4pno - org - 3hp - 3guit -188.8.131.52.2
15. Intermedia projects, installations, performances (Pre-recorded only, combination with live performers is possible. A list of the equipment available to composers for the performance of their works is available on the World Music Days 2015 website:
Composers are themselves responsible for providing any additional equipment that is not included on this list.) duration max. 15 min
The listed instruments in all categories are standard instruments; scores with non-standard instruments will not be accepted for the Canadian Section submission. (For individual submissions, the use of non-standard instruments is possible, provided additional expenses are covered by the composer. For more information including how to make individual submissions, Please visit: www.worldmusicdays2015.si)
Submitting Works to the ISCM Canadian Section:
The preferred means of submitting works by Canadian composers for consideration is through the ISCM Canadian Section. Please note, however, that only one work may be submitted. The ISCM Canadian Section will select six works for consideration by the 2015 ISCM World Music Days Selection Jury. These works will come from at least four available categories.
(by e-mail; electronic copies only. Allowed file types: mp3 pdf jpg jpeg gif png txt doc xls ppt pps odt ods odp avi mpeg mpg mov rm flv wmv 3gp mp4 dir dcr ogg. Each file must be less than 8 MB.)
All submissions must be accompanied by the following materials and information:
a) Completed, signed and scanned (as electronic file) Application form available on the World Music Days 2015 website: www.worldmusicdays2015.si/applicationform
b) PDF version of the score/description
c) Wherever possible, an audio or video recording of the work (as per above list of file types)
d) A short biography of the composer in English (max 150 words)
e) Program notes of the submitted work in English (max 150 words)
f) Technical rider with the specification of all equipment that is necessary to perform the work
g) Proof of nationality of the composer (copy of passport)
h) Current photograph of the composer (high quality preferred; if your piece is chosen by WMD 2015, it will be used in concert program)
i) Website of the composer or the publisher if available
j) Signed declaration of authorship, including a declaration that your work and the submitted recording of your work do not infringe upon the copyright of any other person or company in any way, and that the Canadian Section ISCM has permission to use the submitted recording on a not-for-sale demo CD if it so chooses.
For general information on the International Society for Contemporary Music: www.iscm.org
For more information provided by the festival organizers, please visit:
For additional information on the ISCM Canadian Section:
Jim Hiscott, President & ISCM Canadian Section Contact
Brian Harman, Vice-President