Workshops & Events
About CLC Workshops & Events:
The Canadian League of Composers held its inaugural workshop series in 2007-08. Past workshops have included Grant Writing for the Professional Composer, Composing for the Voice and Cultivating Your Career. The CLC has also co-sponsored, along with the Canadian Music Centre, a series of "Woodshedding" workshops with many talented musicians as facilitators.
Upcoming Workshops & Events:Moncton: WOODSHEDDING - Free Workshops for Musicians
Extended Techniques for Percussion with Michel Deschênes March 13, 2014 - 2:00-4:00 p.m.
Salle Jeanne de Valois, University of Moncton, Moncton NB
A lecture-demonstration with repertoire from CLC members. An overview of the rapidly evolving extended techniques for percussion, such as unconventional sticking, sharing the same instrument, and integrating with live DSP. The workshop will also showcase a variety of lesser-known percussion instruments, including almglocken, bass crotales, waterphone, and the piccolo timpani. Open to all composers.
Edmonton: (Re)Defining "Composer" – March 22, 2014 – 4:30 p.m.
Holy Trinity Anglican Church, 10037 84 Ave NW, Edmonton, AB
A panel discussion in co-presentation with the Edmonton Festival of New Music. The idea of "composer" has broadened drastically in recent years and Edmonton offers a rich microcosm of that diversity. This discussion explores what it means to be a composer, with panelists ranging from both traditional and non-traditional genres.
Montreal: Conducting for Composers II – April 10 & 11, 2014
A two-day workshop in partnership with La Chapel historique du Bon-Pasteur, CMC Québec, conductor/workshop leader Cristian Gort and ensemble La Machine. Building off last season, this year’s edition provides experience conducting with professional musicians.
Toronto: Composer-Performer Meet & Greet Networking Event – June 13, 2014, 8 pm
Array Space - 155 Walnut Ave, Toronto
Co-presented with the Thin Edge New Music Collective, as part of their “Premieres III” concert, featuring six new works by emerging composers from Canada and abroad. Composers and performers: come on out and meet your fellow musicians!
Vancouver: Woodshedding Series - Spring 2014
The widely popular Woodshedding Series returns with three great workshops for composers, co-presented with the CMC BC Region.
Past Workshops & Events:
- 2014 - Toronto: Composers, Meet Your Toronto Arts Council – A public info session with Christy DiFelice, Music Officer of the Toronto Arts Council, to inform composers about recent changes to the Music Creation Program as well as other programs at the TAC, and to generate discussion about music funding at the municipal level.
- 2013 - Toronto (Emerging Composer Mentorship Project): Educational Music: A Composer's Tale with Dean Burry; SOCAN 101: The Rights of Music Creators with Rodney Murphy; Maximizing Incomes with D. Jae Gold; Choose your own Adventure: A Composer's Introduction to Recording and Marketing with Randy Barnard, Allegra Young and Andrew Kwan; Healthy Measures of Success with Anne Carbert; and The Art of Collaboration with Juliet Palmer and Christie Pearson
- 2013 - Montréal: Conducting for Composers with Cristian Gort
- 2012 - Vancouver (Woodshedding): Composing for Erhu with Nicole Ge Li , Creating Budgets for Grants with Julie Poskitt and Walter Quan, Fiolûtröniq: Techniques for hyper-flute, viola da gamba and harpsichord, SOCAN 101 with Terry O'Brien and Sara Pavilionis
- 2012 - Vancouver (Mentorship Project): Canadian Copyright Law For Composers: A Workshop With Bob D’Eith, GETTING OUT THERE: The Keys to Artistic Self-Promotion, SOCAN 101 and the Fundamentals of Rights Management,Taxation Benefits & Planning For Artists and the Self‐Employed With Rudy Bootsma of Compendia
- 2012 - Vancouver: Grant-Writing for Composers, presented by BC Arts Council officers Walter Quan and Julie Poskitt
- 2012 - Vancouver: Ana Sokolovic: A lecture from internationally renowned composer Ana Sokolovic
- 2012 - Toronto (Woodshedding): Kimberley Pritchard (accordion), Peter Pavlovsky (double bass), Daniel Morphy (percussion) - Composing for Accordion, Double Bass and Percussion
- 2011 - Vancouver (Woodshedding): Heidi Krutzen (harp), Mai Han (zheng), Ariel Barnes (cello) Extended Techniques and Beyond: Composing for the Harp, Zheng and Cello
- 2010 - Vancouver (Woodshedding): François Houle (clarinet), Mark McGregor (flute) and Julia Nolan (saxophone)
- 2010 - Montréal (Cultivating Your Career): Walter Boudreau (SMCQ), Tim Brady (Bradyworks), Jean-François Denis (empreintes DIGITALes), Véronique Lacroix (ECM+), Simon Martin (Code d’accès), Danielle P. Roger (Groupe Le Vivier / SuperMusique), Mireille Gagné (CMC Québec), Nicolas Gilbert, Robert Lemay, Robert Normandeau, André Ristic, Ana Sokolovic and Brian Current
- 2010 - Calgary (Cultivating Your Career): Mélanie Léonard (CPO), Bob McPhee (Calgary Opera), Leonard Ratzlaff (Richard Eaton Singers), David Eagle (New Works Calgary), James Rolfe (ex of Continuum), John Reid (CMC Prairies), Paul Steenhuisen, Hope Lee, Arlan Schultz, Allan Bell, Victor Davies, and Laurie Radford
- 2010 - Vancouver (Cultivating Your Career): Sal Ferreras, David Pay, Owen Underhill, Scott Good, Jordan Nobles, DB Boyko, Ramona Luengen, Hal Beckett, John Oliver, Rodney Sharman, Jocelyn Morlock, Keith Hamel and Robert Pritchard
- 2009 - Vancouver, Winnipeg & Toronto (Grant Writing): Michael Jones (Metcalf Foundation)
- 2007-08 - Vancouver, Victoria, Winnipeg & Montréal (Composing for the Voice): Christopher Butterfield, Mel Braun, Pauline Vailloncourt, Benjamin Butterfield
Members can access pod-casts of select workshops by logging into MEMBERS CIRCLE.